Reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 March 2015
Ottawa, 24 July 2015
Addition of The Africa Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add The Africa Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming.”
- The Commission received an application from Bell Canada, acting as Canadian sponsor, to add The Africa Channel, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- Bell Canada described The Africa Channel as a 24-hour general interest service providing television series, specials, documentaries, feature films, music, soap operas, biographies, current business analysis and cultural and historical programs from the African continent. Its target audience would be Canadians who trace their roots back to Africa. The service originates from the United States.
- The Commission’s general approach to the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list is set out in Public Notice 2000-173 and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100. Under this approach, the Commission assesses such requests in the context of its general policy, which, among other things, precludes the addition of a non-Canadian service that can be considered either totally or partially competitive with Canadian specialty or pay television services.
- In assessing the competitiveness of a service, the Commission relies primarily on the comments filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which a proposed non-Canadian service might be totally or partially competitive.
- In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Bell Canada to add The Africa Channel to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: