Reference: Part 1 application posted on 2 December 2014
Ottawa, 15 September 2015
Newfoundland Broadcasting Company Limited
St. John’s and Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador
CHOZ-FM St. John’s – New transmitter in Gander
- The Commission approves an application by Newfoundland Broadcasting Company Limited (NBCL) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CHOZ-FM St. John’s in order to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The new transmitter will operate at 97.7 MHz (channel 249A) with an effective radiated power of 2,800 watts (effective height of antenna above average terrain of 137.4 metres).
- NBCL stated that the installation of the new transmitter will resolve coverage problems within the town of Gander and surrounding area.
- The Commission received an intervention in opposition to this application from Newcap Inc. (Newcap), licensee of CKGA Gander and CKXD-FM Gander, to which NBCL replied. The public record for this application is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- According to Newcap, the proposed transmitter would extend CHOZ-FM’s service for the first time to Gander. However, as stated by NBCL in its reply, the station was originally licensed to serve Gander as well as St. John’s. Further, Gander is currently included in the coverage area of CKMY-FM Rattling Brook, a rebroadcasting transmitter of CHOZ-FM.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 15 September 2017. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: